Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Big Girl

At 3 years and 9.5 months today was Delilah's first day of Kindergarten. It has sneaked up on us a bit, I guess that is what it is like for any of the little ones that start either school or Kindy in first term, there is such a long break between their visits and actually starting that you hope that they won't have forgotten what is coming.

D's been fine with it when ever we had talked about it, there was one falter earlier this week when I said " you are going to meet lots of new kids baby" and she replied with "That's ok mum, I'm going to play with Kenzie"..... Uh your little sister (and best friend) is not coming with you my chicken. Delilah accepted this after a bit more talking, Miss M did not (imagine "I kindy too! I kindy too!" yelled at the top of a two year old's range!). Anyway, because I had been so busy preparing Miss D with her new kindy paraphenalia and making sure she understood what was going to happen I kind of didn't think about how I might feel...... cue a bit of a melt down yesterday..... My baby was heading into the education system, time to cry.


Anyway, after a refreshing night's sleep we were all up and ready this morning, M and I walked D up the road (I've always wanted to be able to walk my kids to school, and I am thrilled that their kindy and primary school are just at the end of our street!), the little chick toting her back pack and buzzing with excitement. She walked straight through the doors ahead of me, found where to put her bag, settled her self with some arts and crafts and told me it was time for me to go.

Mackenzie cried, I didn't, I was so amazed and proud of my big girl. M and I then had a lovely morning doing all the things that I always wish I had more time to devote to, one on one with her, gardening, drawing, puzzles reading, 2hrs and 45 mins flew by.

When we walked back in to pick up my big girl she burst in to tears, she didn't want to leave. I had to assure her that she could go back again the following week. After assurances from the staff that she'd had a brilliant time I also got a reminder that it might be nice for her to have a jumper with her next time (it was a little windy this morning, but I was frantically making sure she had plenty of fruit and all her clothes were labled) Crap! Parenting fail already!

It never ceases to amaze me how well kids seem to take things in their stride, these milestones seem to be much harder on the parents because they remind us of how quickly time is marching on.... yet another reminder to enjoy every minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment